Friday, December 05, 2003
The name's Key. David Key.
I feel like touching a few subjects tonight, so here we go.
- If you watched the local news last night, you might have seen a story about a couple of people jumping someone at Dynasty Supermarket in Chinatown, near Beltway 8 and Bellaire. Most stories like this don't bother me, but this one does because that supermarket is right next to my apartment complex. I even went in there once, to pick up some soy sauce. So someone gets jumped in front of a supermarket within a block of my house at four in the morning.
People, I work nights. I get home at 2 AM. So yeah, I've become fairly nervous now. To top things off, I usually go grocery shopping after I get home. This means I have to make a few trips out to my car, by myself, at night.
Well, actually, it doesn't, because I won't be doing that any more. But I have to come home sometime.
Oh well.
- Music radio stations piss me off. They all play at least 50% whining crap. I can't stomach it anymore. So when I'm not listening to my CDs or my crazy coworkers, I'm tuned into talk radio.
For those of you not politically savvy, talk radio is essentially the only medium that conservative Republicans have any control over. Most of the media has a huge left slant, so much so that it's sickening. I am most definitely a moderate, yet listening to all of the conservative talk hosts has been extremely fun. Why? They present facts to support their arguments. The famous Democrats, however, have an uncanny determination to the principle of not letting facts get in the way of one's opinion. They plan "We Hate Bush" parties, where the most notable guests are Paris Hilton (Because when you think of intelligent and insightful political commentary, you think Paris Hilton) and The West Wing creator Aaron Sorkin ("Watch my show, where those evil, hateful, and stupid Republicans get their comeuppance by the great President Martin Sheen!"). They make wild claims about Bush destroying the economy without even bothering to back up these claims with any data whatsoever. They criticize like crazy the war in Iraq without coming up with any alternative plan besides appeasement, that proven method of conflict resolution that worked SO well in World War II.
- I really don't want to stay on a political tangent right now, so I'll stop here. But I will go further in-depth into this stuff at a later point.
- Gwyneth Paltrow and the lead singer from Coldplay are going to have a child, but doubt that they will get married. Some people have felt the need to criticise their decision to have a child out of wedlock. That's partly valid; it's certainly not admirable that they are in this situation. But I'm not the guy to raise that call to arms. I'm more confused as to why anyone should give a damn. Gwyneth's talented and all, although she does happen to be yet another Hollywood waif in an industry that is inexplicably drawn to the idea that smaller is always sexier. Coldplay, on the other hand, is extremely overrated. They're not awful or anything, but for some reason the entertainment industry has been pimping the hell out of them, trying to make them out to be the next greatest band of all time. I'm not sure why exactly. Their music and performances are not particularly exceptional. Unique, perhaps, but not extrodinary. My only guess is that the industry's marketing executives, bless their timid little hearts, feel they have to get a band into the MTV landscape that's more mature than their current fare to attract the viewers they've lost since they decided to latch onto the teenybopper movement. Five points for trying to diversify their product, minus several million for execution. You can't create a new Radiohead, and it's silly to try. Really, it goes back to the lesson that marketing execs have never learned; planning a product around a sales strategy, rather than visa versa, fails more often than it succeeds. Unless Coldplay can come up with a truly great album, they will end up costing their record company a lot of money.
Last one for tonight, so let's bring it back to ME.
- I bought some cinnamon liqueur today. I don't drink much, and I've never had the desire to do so. Acquiring the taste for alcohol is something I don't plan on doing anytime soon. So I end up laughing when I know tell me that cinnamon or chocolate alcohol is for pussies. Sorry, but I refuse to believe that any alcohol with a pleasant taste is "girly" or "not real alcohol". What, am I supposed to drink beer, whiskey, tequila, or vodka? I simply don't really enjoy drinking any of that stuff. So does that mean that I can't enjoy a different kind of drink without receiving at the very least a snicker?
It's a good thing I don't really let what other people believe affect me. Besides, anybody who argues that an 80 proof liqueur is a pussy drink because it's cinnamon really doesn't deserve any credibility.
It's six in the morning, so I'm going to sleep.
Dig The D
I feel like touching a few subjects tonight, so here we go.
- If you watched the local news last night, you might have seen a story about a couple of people jumping someone at Dynasty Supermarket in Chinatown, near Beltway 8 and Bellaire. Most stories like this don't bother me, but this one does because that supermarket is right next to my apartment complex. I even went in there once, to pick up some soy sauce. So someone gets jumped in front of a supermarket within a block of my house at four in the morning.
People, I work nights. I get home at 2 AM. So yeah, I've become fairly nervous now. To top things off, I usually go grocery shopping after I get home. This means I have to make a few trips out to my car, by myself, at night.
Well, actually, it doesn't, because I won't be doing that any more. But I have to come home sometime.
Oh well.
- Music radio stations piss me off. They all play at least 50% whining crap. I can't stomach it anymore. So when I'm not listening to my CDs or my crazy coworkers, I'm tuned into talk radio.
For those of you not politically savvy, talk radio is essentially the only medium that conservative Republicans have any control over. Most of the media has a huge left slant, so much so that it's sickening. I am most definitely a moderate, yet listening to all of the conservative talk hosts has been extremely fun. Why? They present facts to support their arguments. The famous Democrats, however, have an uncanny determination to the principle of not letting facts get in the way of one's opinion. They plan "We Hate Bush" parties, where the most notable guests are Paris Hilton (Because when you think of intelligent and insightful political commentary, you think Paris Hilton) and The West Wing creator Aaron Sorkin ("Watch my show, where those evil, hateful, and stupid Republicans get their comeuppance by the great President Martin Sheen!"). They make wild claims about Bush destroying the economy without even bothering to back up these claims with any data whatsoever. They criticize like crazy the war in Iraq without coming up with any alternative plan besides appeasement, that proven method of conflict resolution that worked SO well in World War II.
- I really don't want to stay on a political tangent right now, so I'll stop here. But I will go further in-depth into this stuff at a later point.
- Gwyneth Paltrow and the lead singer from Coldplay are going to have a child, but doubt that they will get married. Some people have felt the need to criticise their decision to have a child out of wedlock. That's partly valid; it's certainly not admirable that they are in this situation. But I'm not the guy to raise that call to arms. I'm more confused as to why anyone should give a damn. Gwyneth's talented and all, although she does happen to be yet another Hollywood waif in an industry that is inexplicably drawn to the idea that smaller is always sexier. Coldplay, on the other hand, is extremely overrated. They're not awful or anything, but for some reason the entertainment industry has been pimping the hell out of them, trying to make them out to be the next greatest band of all time. I'm not sure why exactly. Their music and performances are not particularly exceptional. Unique, perhaps, but not extrodinary. My only guess is that the industry's marketing executives, bless their timid little hearts, feel they have to get a band into the MTV landscape that's more mature than their current fare to attract the viewers they've lost since they decided to latch onto the teenybopper movement. Five points for trying to diversify their product, minus several million for execution. You can't create a new Radiohead, and it's silly to try. Really, it goes back to the lesson that marketing execs have never learned; planning a product around a sales strategy, rather than visa versa, fails more often than it succeeds. Unless Coldplay can come up with a truly great album, they will end up costing their record company a lot of money.
Last one for tonight, so let's bring it back to ME.
- I bought some cinnamon liqueur today. I don't drink much, and I've never had the desire to do so. Acquiring the taste for alcohol is something I don't plan on doing anytime soon. So I end up laughing when I know tell me that cinnamon or chocolate alcohol is for pussies. Sorry, but I refuse to believe that any alcohol with a pleasant taste is "girly" or "not real alcohol". What, am I supposed to drink beer, whiskey, tequila, or vodka? I simply don't really enjoy drinking any of that stuff. So does that mean that I can't enjoy a different kind of drink without receiving at the very least a snicker?
It's a good thing I don't really let what other people believe affect me. Besides, anybody who argues that an 80 proof liqueur is a pussy drink because it's cinnamon really doesn't deserve any credibility.
It's six in the morning, so I'm going to sleep.
Dig The D
Comments:
Post a Comment