Saturday, December 06, 2003
I mentioned that I listened to a lot of talk radio in my last entry.
One of the personalities I listen to is a man by the name of William Savage. I've enjoyed listening to him, as he makes his case by presenting facts. I admire that.
I did hear him say something that speaks volumes on how most conservatives think. Mr. Savage wants to hold a porn burning party in San Francisco in January to support a movement to outlaw pornography. He supports this action with the following arguments:
1. Pornography gives us unrealistic expectations of sex, showing men with freakishly huge genitalia, woman with large fake breasts who scream like banshees, and comparitively violent sex. This leads to self-esteem issues in both men and women who don't share any of those characteristics. It also leads to dissappointment when they find out that sex is nothing like what you see in pornography videos. Destruction of a couple's sex life soon follows.
Good point, and I agree 100%. However, I do not believe that that is enough to give us the right to illegalize porn. Governments have a lousy track record when it comes to legislating morality, and they shouldn't be allowed to try unless it is absolutely neccessary.
2. Because pornography usually involves a man and a woman having sex, a viewer is forced to watch a member of their sex partake in sexual acts. This may arouse one's curiosity in homosexuality, and as a result lead people to experiement with same gender sexual relations.
I disagree in principle. There is no evidence to support this claim. In fact, it makes absolutely no sense considering that most people have seen at least a small portion of porn in their lives. But youneverknow, and it's not like I can prove my case either.
3. Pornography is the reason why Muslims are willing to die to kill us. They don't want their kids to become sluts like the kids in America. Our society is in fact so horrible that Muslims will die to prevent any part of it from entering their own.
That argument is absurd. Maybe, MAYBE if we were the only ones who tolerated pornography in our culture that arugment would have some merit. But that is not even close to being true. In fact, the real hotbeds for "deviant" views on sex and pornography are Europe (particularly German and France, the countries who are our biggest critics of our war in Iraq) and Japan. Yet those countries have had relatively little trouble with fanatic Muslims.
People, there are two reasons Al Qaeda attacked us on 9/11.
- Our military presence in the Middle East, which wouldn't be there if Iraq hadn't invaded one of our trading partners.
- Our pro-Israel stance in the Israel-Palestine debacle. Look, we tried to play mediator. Clinton helped negotiate a peace treaty between the two sides in which 95% of the disputed territory would go to Palestine. All Palestine had to do was recognize Israel as a nation. Instead, they sent even more suicide bombers across the border. Fanatic Muslims want nothing less than for all the Jews to pack up and leave. That complete unwillingness to compromise, and America's desire for Palestinians to give up something, ANYTHING to resolve this conflict is why Osama bin Laden wants all of us infidels dead. Of course, his small dick also plays a role.
Pornography is small potatoes when compared to driving the Jews into the Mediterreanan.
Look, I have no objections to stopping the production of porn. However, not only do we have more important things to worry about (in Mr. Savage's own words, "the enemy is not from within but from without"), but we also have no right to stop those who are interested in watching porn from doing so. If you want to go burn porn, go burn porn. Illegalizing it will solve nothing, and is a waste of our time.
Tommorrow I'm off, and although most of my day will be spent with my lovely Sandy, I'll also be able to write my entry at a regular time during the night. And since I'll have gone out and done something, I even promise to not talk about politics. Until tommorrow, have a good night.
Dig The D.
One of the personalities I listen to is a man by the name of William Savage. I've enjoyed listening to him, as he makes his case by presenting facts. I admire that.
I did hear him say something that speaks volumes on how most conservatives think. Mr. Savage wants to hold a porn burning party in San Francisco in January to support a movement to outlaw pornography. He supports this action with the following arguments:
1. Pornography gives us unrealistic expectations of sex, showing men with freakishly huge genitalia, woman with large fake breasts who scream like banshees, and comparitively violent sex. This leads to self-esteem issues in both men and women who don't share any of those characteristics. It also leads to dissappointment when they find out that sex is nothing like what you see in pornography videos. Destruction of a couple's sex life soon follows.
Good point, and I agree 100%. However, I do not believe that that is enough to give us the right to illegalize porn. Governments have a lousy track record when it comes to legislating morality, and they shouldn't be allowed to try unless it is absolutely neccessary.
2. Because pornography usually involves a man and a woman having sex, a viewer is forced to watch a member of their sex partake in sexual acts. This may arouse one's curiosity in homosexuality, and as a result lead people to experiement with same gender sexual relations.
I disagree in principle. There is no evidence to support this claim. In fact, it makes absolutely no sense considering that most people have seen at least a small portion of porn in their lives. But youneverknow, and it's not like I can prove my case either.
3. Pornography is the reason why Muslims are willing to die to kill us. They don't want their kids to become sluts like the kids in America. Our society is in fact so horrible that Muslims will die to prevent any part of it from entering their own.
That argument is absurd. Maybe, MAYBE if we were the only ones who tolerated pornography in our culture that arugment would have some merit. But that is not even close to being true. In fact, the real hotbeds for "deviant" views on sex and pornography are Europe (particularly German and France, the countries who are our biggest critics of our war in Iraq) and Japan. Yet those countries have had relatively little trouble with fanatic Muslims.
People, there are two reasons Al Qaeda attacked us on 9/11.
- Our military presence in the Middle East, which wouldn't be there if Iraq hadn't invaded one of our trading partners.
- Our pro-Israel stance in the Israel-Palestine debacle. Look, we tried to play mediator. Clinton helped negotiate a peace treaty between the two sides in which 95% of the disputed territory would go to Palestine. All Palestine had to do was recognize Israel as a nation. Instead, they sent even more suicide bombers across the border. Fanatic Muslims want nothing less than for all the Jews to pack up and leave. That complete unwillingness to compromise, and America's desire for Palestinians to give up something, ANYTHING to resolve this conflict is why Osama bin Laden wants all of us infidels dead. Of course, his small dick also plays a role.
Pornography is small potatoes when compared to driving the Jews into the Mediterreanan.
Look, I have no objections to stopping the production of porn. However, not only do we have more important things to worry about (in Mr. Savage's own words, "the enemy is not from within but from without"), but we also have no right to stop those who are interested in watching porn from doing so. If you want to go burn porn, go burn porn. Illegalizing it will solve nothing, and is a waste of our time.
Tommorrow I'm off, and although most of my day will be spent with my lovely Sandy, I'll also be able to write my entry at a regular time during the night. And since I'll have gone out and done something, I even promise to not talk about politics. Until tommorrow, have a good night.
Dig The D.
Comments:
Post a Comment